Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Workout Interpretation

Workout:
60 min. swim; 1300 yards


On Monday, Kieth told me that if I was going to skip one workout this week, Wednesday would be the day to do it. It would be better to have a break in the middle of the week, rather than on Thursday or Friday. So when my alarm went off at 4:30 my first thought was "Kieth said I could miss today!" which of course is not entirely true. But, half asleep, it sounded logical. I tried to figure out how to re-set my alarm and sleep in an extra hour: should I just hit snooze a bunch of times, or should I actually change the time? Then I thought I should text him and let him know I wouldn't be there. Then, the thought of not being there made me feel guilty...and by that time I was awake, and had talked myself into getting up.

So, here was my workout for the day:



At first, I didn't know what the heck it meant either, other than the warm-up. Kieth had to explain each part to me as I went along. Here's an interpretation:

The warm-up (200): Each lap is 25 yards...so 200 is 8 laps. But, they are broken into 4 x 50 with a 30 second rest, so that means two laps, followed by a 30 second rest, four different times.

Main set (1,000): I actually love drills! They're easier than just swimming. 4 x 25 means one lap of each drill. Piece of cake! Drill #1 (9-3-9) is kicking with 1 arm leading 9 times, 3 strokes, then other arm leading. Drill #2 (FTD) is the finger tip drag, when I swim but drag my fingers along the water to practice keeping my elbows up. Drill #3 (rotation kick) is a drill in which I have my head in the water, arms at my side and kick. When I need air, I rotate on to my back and continue to kick with my arms still at my side. Drill #4 (catch-up freestyle) is the hardest of the three for me. I swim, keeping one arm in front of me at all times, alternating arms.

200 pull - This is also relatively easy/fun: I place a pool buoy between my legs which helps my lower body stay afloat without kicking. It's 1/2 as much work. Then, I pull myself with my arms, practicing on form. Kieth pointed out that my right hand/fingers are not hitting the water first. Possibly due to the fact that I am not rotating enough...imbalance left over from running?

12 x 25 free @ :45 - breathing every 3 strokes - Now this was difficult! Interval training, in the water!! Who knew there was such a thing???? It's 25 laps, 45 seconds each lap. I completed each lap in about 35 seconds, so I had 10-15 seconds to hang out on the wall and catch my breath. There's a huge clock visible to everyone that starts as soon as we get in the water, and I use that to time myself. I have been favoring my right side when I breath, and breathing every 3 strokes forces you to alternate. However, when I become tired, I start breathing every other stroke - always on the right, because I just don't seem to get enough air when I wait until every third.

400 free- with as few breaks as possible- this was the most difficult, especially because it is 16 laps, and I had just completed 12! When Kieth told me to complete it with as few breaks as possible, I told myself I would try not to take any. Just like with running, I tried to pace myself. Instead of trying to swim fast, I tried to slow myself down, as if I were starting out a run. After 6 laps, I had to rest for awhile, and I rested several other times before I was done...probably for about a minute total. I ended up completing 16 laps in 12min., which isn't too bad, or so he says. It averages out at 3min per 100, and I completed my first timed 100 in 2:11. But here, there were more of them.

I'm really glad that I did manage my butt out of bed, and didn't talk myself out of going in my sleep-induced stupor.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment