Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

People Are Noticing

Workout:
60 min. swim; 1300 yards
3 mile run


It's taken a long time, but I've made the transition from a sedentary smoker (I didn't do anything for the entire 8 years following HS, except smoke over a pack a day) to a person who won't even miss a planned run, even when I'm changing in the bathroom @ lunch and realize I forgot my running bra. Before, I would have used that as an excuse. Now, I tighten the straps on my push-up bra and go for a run anyway. Not because I'm looking forward to the actual run (who does!?) but, for the feeling I get when I'm finished. 


I recently turned what used to be my lunchtime walks into lunchtime runs. People are noticing, and their reactions aren't always positive. 


Take the "I hate you" comment for example. Now, there is a lot to be said for tone and inflection, but no matter how peppy or jolly your tone, an "I hate you" is still an "I hate you." I was returning from a run when someone (another adult - I don't want to be too specific) looked at me and, actually said "I hate you." I smiled and laughed, genuinely caught off guard. 

I've also had someone ask me if I've lost weight. When I responded with an enthused "Yes, thanks for noticing!" it was met with a disgusted yet inquisitive "Why???" Even today, returning to work, someone else said "You're going to fitness yourself to death."

Maybe this negativity comes from the perception that I'm judging them? That's my only guess. If I weigh less than someone and I'm currently trying to loose weight, then maybe they assume that I think they should? But I don't. Fitness is all relative and there are millions of people more fit than me. Faster than me. Better swimmers than me. I'm just trying to be my own personal best.

No comments:

Post a Comment