Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Friday, August 19, 2011

Training for Marathon #15 Begins!

There's a misconception that people who run actually like running for hours on end. We don't. At least, I don't. Who actually wants to get up early on the weekend and run for hours and be completely wiped out afterwards? Some people I'm sure, but I think they're weird. But, for countless reasons, the good outweighs the bad...and I stick with it, going through phases where I like it, and times when I loath it. Currently, I'm stuck in the latter.


I returned from the Missoula, Montana marathon late on July 12th and was out running with our Cross Country team on July 14th. We did 4 miles, 3 miles the next day and 5 on that Saturday. I usually take a month off from running following a marathon, but with coaching I wasn't able to. But, I felt good! I was excited not to have any pain, and I was running at a 9 minute pace without trying! I enjoy encouraging the kids, and seeing their progress inspires me. I was out there 5 days the following week, running with them, and logging over 20 miles. It felt effortless.


But then, for no apparent reason, this Tuesday I ran 4 miles with the team and it was extremely hard. I was going slower, yet it felt I was expending more energy. Back at work, I have not ran since Tuesday. And, just when I was thinking I would take a week off, I found out that I'm leading practice next week, meeting the students at 6:30 am before I go into work. Our coach (I'm an assistant coach) will be with the majority of the kids up at camp in Big Bear. But those who aren't going still need to run! That's where I come in.


And then, I noticed that the marathon is 13 weeks away, the minimum amount of time required to train. So, tomorrow is officially my first day of training for the Santa Barbara Marathon! And, like it our not, training begins.
I've been following the same plan for years!
Tomorrow our XC team has a 2 mile run. I'm going to run to the start from my place and then run afterwards to get my 10 miles in.


Here's my training schedule, long runs only:


Sat. 8/20:   10 miles
Sat. 8/27:   12 miles
Sat. 9/03:   15 miles
Sat. 9/10:   18 miles
Sat. 9/17:   15 miles
Sat. 9/24:    22 miles
Sat. 10/01:  15 miles
Sat. 10/08:  18 miles
Sat. 10/15:  15 miles
Sat. 10/22:  22 miles
Sat. 10/29:  10 miles
Sat. 11/05:  10 miles
Sat. 11/12: 26.2 miles! Santa Barbara marathon! 


Because I also have my 1st ultra marathon, the North Face Endurance Challenge on December 3rd, I will also need to follow some of the long runs listed above with long runs. I know that I will need to run 10 miles the day after the Santa Barbara marathon. Beyond that, I'm not sure what my training for the 50K will look like! Yikes. I guess I need to start reading the book I bought two months ago: Relentless Forward Progress. This is completely uncharted territory for me, but I'm excited. I think.


I've ran long enough to know that bad runs happen. I just need to push through this and it will get easier; it always does!

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Good luck on the ultra marathon. You are officially the first person I know to sign up for one of those! Reading this gives me hope. My legs feel like a thousand tons right now. I still have about 10 lbs. to lose and I just feel so heavy on my feet when I run. It doesn't help that it's so freaking hot in the 909!! Thanks for blogging! =)
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Alyssa! It's so important to remember that we all have bad runs...even reading that you do sometimes helps me!!! I'm nervous and excited about the ultra training. I have never ran back to back long runs. Ah, the heat of the 909, I remember it well! Congrats on the birth of Liam - he is a doll & Gavin is so cute with him!

    ReplyDelete