Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Adventures in Juicing

I decided to start juicing because what I did the previous week, just cutting back, obviously didn't work. Small changes over time are the most effective, but I don't have time for small changes!

Sunday - When I woke up, I decided that it was time to unearth the Juiceman that my parents gave me weeks ago. I made a commitment to have only juice that day, but had no idea what challenges would be thrown my way...


Carrot, celery, ginger, kale, apple and lemon.
It started out easy. It always does, doesn't it? I made the juice above, and it was delicious! pretty good. Much better than some of my protein shakes. I was committed. But then, when my boyfriend declined joining his friends for football - they decided to bring the party over to his house. I was actually doing the Insanity workout when they showed up, but joined them for a game of Bocce ball on his lawn as soon as I was done.
You honk, they drink!
To be a good hostess, I made a beer, pizza, appetizer run. I don't drink, so that wasn't tempting, but let me tell you: driving home with a fresh, hot pizza in my car knowing that I couldn't have any of it was one of the hardest things I've done in my life. Perhaps I love torture, because I even baked them cookies, while I begrudgingly sipped another batch of juice. All I kept thinking was wow, I really picked the wrong day to juice. But, it was actually the best day because I would have had all of that!

Monday - I ate normal for breakfast and lunch, but went to Mother's market after my massage and got a 16 oz. juice. I used to think their $4.25 price was high, but now that I realize just how many vegetables you need to buy to make that much juice, it's almost worth it. Only having juice for dinner left me really hungry as I was trying to fall asleep, but I felt really good when I woke up.

Tuesday - I had a big salad (also from mother's) for lunch and was planning to juice for dinner, but we rode our bikes to old town Tustin. I ordered three pulled pork sliders, but only had two. I'm starting to notice now that less food fills me up!

Wednesday - Ate normal during the day, but juiced again for dinner, using Andra's recipe: Detox Mojito-1/2 c fresh basil,1 english cucumber,1/2 lime zest and pith removed,1 apple cut into wedges. Starting with basil, juice everything. Stir and enjoy. Well, that's what I was planning to do. But, it was game 1 of the world series, and my boyfriend wanted ribs at the Tustin Garage. Half a rack was only $10...how could I say no? But, I could have said no to following that with a hot fudge sundae.

Thursday - Time for the weigh in. I normally weigh in on Fridays, but will be away at a conference. Imagine my disappointment, again, when I realized that I had gained a half pound!!!  This blog was supposed to be about my success not my failure and disappointment! That's 3.5 total loss, minus 2 total gain for 1.5 pound loss. That's it??? I thought I would have lost 6 pounds at least by now!

In trying to identify what went wrong, I realize that while I did do well on Sunday and Monday, I had too much last Friday after I was disappointed by the gain. I had pizza and TWO cupcakes. Also, I didn't exercise nearly as much because I couldn't get away for a lunch run and didn't make time for the Insanity workout. Also, I am most likely holding on to some extra water weight from all the sodium in last night's dinner.

Unlike last week, I am not going to let this gain be an excuse to say forget it and eat too much. I'm headed in to Hollywood to see my friend Jen, and we're going for sushi. NO DESSERT! Then, I will be at the CASC conference Friday and Saturday - all day. I'm hoping that being held captive will help prevent me from snacking! But, it will also prevent me from exercising, so I need to do something on Sunday - maybe it's time to dust off my road bike, or go for a long hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment