Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Grow follies, grow!

If you follow me on my instagram or facebook, you know I am officially in The Ivy Study and just finished up my first 7 days of stimulation medication. Last week, I was so nervous about the final 'hoop' that I had to jump through (having an estradiol level under 25) that I could hardly contain myself. I blogged about it for Fertility Authority:

Hope, in a Jar

 

A blog by Megan Swanek, August 31, 2014
Remember as a child just how excited you were on Christmas morning, hoping that one of those presents under the tree was the one you really wanted? And how disappointed you knew you would be if you didn’t get what you had been hoping and wishing for over the last few months? That feeling pales in comparison to just how nervous and excited I was the other day waiting on the results of my blood test and estradiol level. Read more...

Please click HERE to continue reading the my posting. They do keep track of views, so every click helps.

My levels turned out fine, and after 12 days of giving myself Lupron injections, I was given the green light and drove home with my follicle stimulating medication on ice. I have been given the study drug, AFOLIA, which is being tested as a generic equivalent to Gonal-f. Garnering FDA approval for this will ultimately help bring down the cost of IVF medication for women across the country, a cause I am all for. After-all, if it weren't for the reduced cost of this clinical trial, we would not be doing IVF right now.

Tuesday was day five of my stimulation medication, and I had an appointment for a scan, blood work and to receive more medication.  My scan showed 8 follicles, which was a bit disappointing. At this point in the process the first time, I had 12. He increased my dosage of AFOLIA from 225 IU to 300 IU to ensure they all kept growing. Stimulation medication never affects how many follicles you have. It only helps those you do have reach maturity.


Sure, it could be better. But as with all things in life, it could also be much worse. What if I wasn't responding to the meds? At least my 8 follicles are all growing, and I'm still in the study! I had them checked again today and everything looks good. My doctor needs to see me again tomorrow afternoon to decide exactly when I need to give myself the HCG trigger shot. I'm still on the 10 IU of Lupron each morning which is preventing ovulation, and this trigger shot will ensure that ovulation occurs 36 hours after its given. 

Then, it will be time for retrieval! Right now, retrieval looks like it will be on Wednesday, with a possible transfer on Saturday. The study specifies that we have to transfer two on day three, but I don't know if we will have that many. I was worried about what this would mean if we have less, but I double checked today, and they will still transfer one if that's all we have. 

And, one is all we need.




No comments:

Post a Comment