Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Sunday, June 6, 2021

Make Butter in 10 Minutes!

 Aut came home from school one day very excited to tell me that she made butter. "Mommy! I made butter at school today and it was sooooooo easy! Can we make butter today?" Doubtful, and remembering the one time I made ice cream as a child and it involved rock salt, a coffee can and took what seemed like all day, I said "We'll see" which is really the Mom's version of "not a chance." I filed it away in my mind under things we hope to accomplish this summer but might not ever get around to. But then I looked it up here and it really did seem impossibly easy! Could it be true? I ordered two 4 oz mason jars on Amazon, and picked up some heavy whipping cream (recipe calls for heavy cream, but that is the same as heavy whipping cream) at the store. It was impossibly easy, with only one ingredient and no measuring!


Mason Jar Instructions

  • Pour heavy cream into the mason jar, filling it half-way full. Do not overfill past the half-way mark. Screw the lid on tightly so there are no leaks.
  • Shake mason jar for approximately 5-7 minutes. We put a few songs on for fun! After a few minutes, whipped cream will form and it won't feel like anything is happening - keep shaking! . Keep shaking until you hear that a lump has formed inside, and shake an additional 30-60 seconds after that. You should clearly see that the fat solids have separated from the liquids. The amount of time it takes will depend on how vigorously you are able to shake the jar.

Rinsing, Flavoring, and Storing

  • Strain the fat solids from the buttermilk using a strainer. 
  • Pour cold water over the butter. Shape into a ball or any other shape (you can purchase butter molds for interesting designs).
  • At this point you have butter! You can add in things like salt, honey, and herbs to create flavored butters, or serve in its pure form as is.




No comments:

Post a Comment