Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spend time with family, or workout? Both!

So, in march I biked 118 miles. But in the last week, I biked 112! In part because I won't be bringing my bike with me for my week in Colorado and feel like I need to get in as many rides as possible. And in part because I'm a little freaked out that my race is only 21 days away! Life can get in the way of training. When I found out I was going to be spending Saturday with my Mom & brother on Saturday my first thought was "Oh no! What about my ride?" Normally, I would be happy to spend a day tooling around thrift stores, shopping, having lunch and catching up. 
But with the race fast approaching I just don't feel like I can afford to skip the big ones. I felt conflicted and almost explained that I couldn't when I caught myself thinking what would I miss more: not spending the time with them, or being a workout short? I decided I would see them, before it was even a decision. But the thought alone speaks volumes to how much this training has woven it's way into my daily life. Luckily, it all worked out because Friday was a minimum day. I was able to hit the Santa Ana River Trail by 3pm. I rode 45 miles; from Newport Beach to Yorba Linda and back in 3 and 1/2 hours. 

It was absolutely gorgeous out, with beautiful puffy white clouds. The kind I'm certain would catch me if I fell out of an airplane. And it only sprinkled on me a few times - a far cry from the 4 hours of hell I endured on the same ride back in December. During the start of my ride I was enjoying it so much that I had the thought that everyone should bike! I was listening to Hitch 22 and it was finally getting interesting. I was thinking about my trip, life, and enjoying the industrial sights as well as the more natural ones of the river trail.



But when I turned around, I had a fierce headwind to contend with. A wind so strong that I had to pull over and raise the volume on my iPod. And still couldn't hear. I was pedaling just as hard as I was on the way out, yet going half the speed. By mile 35 I was wondering why anyone would own a bike. I was ready to call and leave messages with all of the people I had mentally called on the way out, telling them that I had it I had it backwards; a bike wasn't the greatest invention after all. 'Save your money and buy a scooter' I would say. 


But, as always I made it through. And, as always, it was worth it. That's the thing - no matter how tough a workout is, you never regret it afterwards. When today rolled around I was able to enjoy my time with Mom & Glen more than ever, knowing that it was out of the way. And I will never put quality time on my bike or in the pool or running before family, lest I be left sitting on this bench alone.


Now, my focus for the next week will be swimming. I plan to swim at least 5 of my 8 days in Colorado, and run 5 times as well. When I get back, I'll have another big week with swimming and on the bike; at least 100 miles and then...it's time to taper! Which some training plans, like this one, say can begin as early as NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment