Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

When life gives you lemons....

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. 
But, unless life also gives you sugar and water, 
your lemonade is gonna suck.

RUNNING, or more generally speaking, EXERCISE is the sugar and the water that you need, no matter what comes your way. I'm not sure what I would do right now without my passion and ability to exercise. It is a crutch when times are hard, and a life enhancer when things are good. I told all of the middle school track kids last week that running is a panacea, and I was speaking the truth. Never mind that not one of them knew the definition of the word panacea.

I had a PR (personal record) in the Costa Mesa Community run on Saturday. Did I want to get up at 6am on a Saturday and go? No. Did I want to run? No. But, I had my fastest time in a 5K since I was on the x-team in high school, and placed 4th in my division. Of that I'm proud. And afterwards, was I glad that I went? Yes. Always. That's the thing about running: you may not want to do it, and you may not enjoy doing it, but you never regret it afterwards. I tell the middle school kids that their brains are now flooded with feel-good chemicals after we run. And, it's the truth! Every problem, no matter the size, is a little bit smaller after a run. They don't go away, but they're measurably smaller.


3.1 miles in 25:03 


All week, I had been talking this 5K up with my administrators, saying I would beat both of them. Okay, more accurately, I was going around telling everyone I was going to beat both of them.


But, I was actually worried I would not be able to keep up with our AP, who is currently training for an Olympic distance triathlon. I asked him what pace he would be running, and he said 8:30 min./miles. I was thinking I would be around 9 min./mile but knew if I pushed myself, I could hang on to 8:30. But, I ended up with an 8:05 min./mile average pace!
My competition!
Here's how it all went down. We started together, and finished our 1st mile in 8 minutes. Fast for both of us. I thought to myself I need to slow down! But, we would get stuck behind some slower runners; runners going more my pace and he would go around them. So, I went around them. At mile two I looked down at my garmin, and it had taken us 7:45. Whoops! At 2 1/2 miles there was a short, steep hill. Called puke hill, and for good reason. We powered up it and at the top, I was done. I actually thought I might throw up (I haven't felt that way on a run since HS) and didn't want to hold him back. So, I courteously gave my permission "Go ahead, Todd." No one needs permission, but it's a polite way to accept defeat. As if they have your blessing. He continued on, and I walked for about 5 seconds. Then, I thought of all my shit-talking. For the past week. I wasn't ready to let this one go. I continued on, hanging back and noticing he had slowed a little, as I would have done had I not been running with him. Clearly, we were pushing each other.



The race finished on the track. Not one complete lap, but 3/4 of a lap. Right as we got to the track, I kicked it in and he gave me his blessing. I sprinted 100 yards, but it was too soon. With only 200 yards left, I thought what if I don't finish? But then I told myself I was almost done, and gave it everything I had. And by doing so, sort of earned bragging rights for at least the rest of the school year. If only in my own mind.

Last week, I thought the timing of my 1/2 Ironman could not be worse. But, as it turns out, it could not be better. Getting out there and pushing myself for 7-8 hours and earning my medal is exactly what I need right now. So much so, that I have already set me next goal: the Missoula Marathon which is only 73 days away. I've never signed up for a marathon that close to the start date because you need a good 3-4 months to train. But, my 1/2 ironman has given me a good foundation. All I need to do is bump my mileage up to 15 the week after this, and I'm on my way. And right now, that's exactly what I need: another goal to set my sights on (a new PR!) and something else to force me to train consistently. My panacea.

No comments:

Post a Comment