Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

IVF #3 - in Prague

Right after our little girl was born, my husband booked our flights to Vienna, Prague and Budapest. He is amazing at the mileage game, and scored our business class tickets, valued around $7,000 each, for just $150. It was a huge leap of faith for first-time parents with a newborn to take, and we wondered if we bit off more than we could chew. We didn't yet know what a trip to the grocery store with a little one would entail, let alone spending three weeks trekking around three different cities.

As we started researching the three cities, we realized that the US dollar goes very far Prague. We wondered how much IVF would cost there, and were amazed to find out that it was well under $5,000, including medication. In the United States, medication alone costs $4,000! What about doing IVF while we're there, we wondered? Was their standard of care as good as the states and would it be safe for me?


I did not know what data to look at, or even where to begin in researching clinics abroad. In the US, we now know to look at the SART data, something we did not find out until after we had financially committed to our first (failed) IVF, which cost $20,000. Imagine paying that amount for ... nothing! We paid for the hope of becoming parents, and didn't even have any left to freeze. 

Luckily, my husband has a cousin who is a doctor, and I was able to get her more-informed opinion. I sent her an email with a list of the clinics we were considering. She was able to get a list of "approved" clinics from her attending physician at Children's Hospital Los Angeles, who happened to know a doctor in the Czech Republic. Armed with this knowledge, we felt safe proceeding.

Initially, we were considering clinics in Brno (Reprofit and Unica), not realizing how far it was from Prague. Since I will have multiple appointments, we don't want to be traveling back and forth, almost 130 miles, one way. Currently, we are deciding between the Prague Fertility Centre and GYNEM Fertility Clinic.

It has been tough with the language barrier. Even though their employees speak English, a typical email reads something like this:

Dear Mrs Megan Swanek.
Thank you very much for your confidence in turning our clinic.We are also pleased to hear that you have learned about Unica via a great references. Our clinic has been engaged in the IVF treatment since 1994; making us the IVF centre with the longest tradition in the Czech Republic.  We always strive to emphasize quality; we will very gladly help you.
We fly in 68 days, and I am a bit behind in setting all of this up. When we thought I had melanoma, I obviously could not proceed with any fertility treatments, so everything came to a grinding halt. Besides missing my second month of IUI treatments (which are covered under my current insurance), I stopped exploring the option of IVF all together.

But now, I am excited to move forward. We are thrilled about the possibility of giving baby A a sibling, but remain cautiously optimistic, since my fertility has naturally declined in the two years since my first failed IVF.

Next steps: sending the doctors my hormonal profile so that they can work up my treatment protocol, which my primary care physician ordered yesterday. I'm hoping to have consultation via skype soon, and will keep you updated on the process! 

9 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! I planned on doing IVF at Gennet, but then my insurance changed and we're gonna try one more time, this time at HRC in Encino :). I'm surprised more couples don't look at IVF in Czech Republic! A vacation and IVF for less than you pay in the U.S.! Keep us updated and I'll be praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - did you know that HRC Encino is where I went for my successful IVF??? I saw Dr. T!

      Delete
  2. Wow this sounds exciting and even better is the cost! Can wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I would love to hear more details about this process in general! Sounds exciting and I'm wishing you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a Skype consultation next week and will post about it! :)

      Delete
  4. Indeed Prague, Czech Republic is an excellent medical tourism place for IVF treatment. Good to know your story, it would surely help many couples who are going to Prague for IVF treatment.
    Praga Medica

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are many clinics which provide the low cost fertility treatment in India that everybidy can afford it easily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, do you think you could give us the list if these approved clinics you were given by your cousin?

    ReplyDelete