Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Third Birthday - Our Beauty, and the Beast

I picked out the theme to our girl's 3rd birthday right after her second birthday; clear evidence that I have a problem. But it's a fun problem to have, because I love planning and looking forward to it all year. Planning ahead also helps spread out the cost. Today, her party was featured on Catch My Party, so I figured it was finally time to get some photos and details up on the blog.
The morning started with a planned electrical outage on our street and then cars being diverted off a busy, main road. They were zooming down our normally quiet street and I just told myself it would all be over long before the party started, and continued working on setting up and the favor bags. I think I was doing a good job keeping calm, as Aunt Cassandra helped by being on call and running out to pick up a few extra favors (Beauty and the Beast books). Until the honking started.
I made the centerpieces using a glass dome from Ikea,
rose from Hobby Lobby and a dab of hot glue.
Naps are important on any ordinary day, but crucial on the day of her party. As I was getting ready to take a break and put her down for nap, almost every car that was speeding down our street started honking. More than a honk, most drivers were laying on the horn, one right after another. I really hadn't been too stressed up until this point, but we all have our limits. Looking out the window, I thought maybe my party planner was blocking traffic, but didn't see anything amiss until I noticed our across the street neighbors with a huge, wooden sign reading: YOU HONK, WE DRINK. And I realized it was Cinco de Mayo. I walked across the street, barefoot and pregnant and explained the party and nap dilemma. Fortunately, they were very understanding and took it down right away. I was able to get her down at her normal time, the air came back on, and my stress dissipated.

I used the same party planner as last year, Lesly Marquez with Glam Spot Events. She was amazing as always, and came the day prior to set up the large tent, tables and chairs. While the birthday girl was sleeping, Lesly arrived and started decorating. She also jumped in to help with balloons because I found out the day before that my balloon girl was in the hospital with a stroke. She made the beautiful balloon garland around the dessert bar, free of charge. When the birthday girl woke up, she was so excited, and we had time before her guests started arriving to get dressed, and snap a few photos.

We had been talking about her party for at least a month prior. For weeks leading up to the day, she would randomly say "Beast coming to my house!" Sometimes, she would get nervous and revoke his invitation. So it was no surprise that when they finally did arrive, she would not go near him! She gave Belle a hug, and seemed to enjoy watching from a distance. I was still very glad that we hired Pic Me Entertainment because they were great at leading the kids in games, handing out prizes, playing music and parachute play. We will definitely use them again.  She still watches the video that they sent her.



















A huge hit of the day was when A's teacher from daycare, Ms. Anke, arrived. I already knew that I loved the daycare I selected, but having her teacher take the time to show up only reaffirmed that I picked a place that really cares. When we were laying down for bed that night, she told me "I told you Ms. Anke coming to my party!" Here she is below, holding A's hand.

It was very special that her grandma from Oregon was able to attend the party. I moved the date up to the beginning of May because she was planning to be here for the birth of A's cousin. 
After some games and food (taco cart), it was time to sing happy birthday, cut the cake, and have the Beast present her with our large gift, a bike!

A special gift that she received was from my Dad and brother: A gold cross just like my Mom used to wear. It is a gift that we both will treasure for years to come.
She had fun well into the evening, running around and playing on her swing set, in her room, and in the tent. Although most guests left after the dessert bar was opened and we cut the cake, a few stayed until close to 9pm. 


I told myself that I would not throw another elaborate party for her next year, because we will have our boy's first birthday just two months after her's. And I'm totally sticking to that. Even if I had the money to throw two that close together, friends wouldn't want to come to come to parties that close together. 

So instead, I am not dreaming of and planning a Christmas party, complete with 5,000 pounds of snow to be made in our front yard, and a little sled run. I think the Frozen theme fits nicely, and may have already picked up some Anna and Elsa paper plates at the Dollar Tree. 


Click these links to see her past parties:

First Birthday
Second Birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment