Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Friday, September 30, 2016

And Then There Were 11

On Monday, my ultrasound showed 11 follicles. ELEVEN! That is about the same number I had in 2014 when we did IVF twice. Since my AMH number is half of what it was then, I was prepared for only 4 or 5. For the IVF that resulted in Baby A, 10 eggs were retrieved, only 8 were and fertilized and from that, 2 were developing normally and transferred. The time before, only 7 were retrieved. All we need is one. One good, healthy egg. I left happy and hopeful. My coordinator emailed later in the day to say that my medication was to remain the same.

On Wednesday, I was a bit disappointed to learn that the number of follicles had dropped to 9. I wasn't sure if I had lost two, if they didn't grow, or if it was just a different technician. 


Here were their dimensions:

Left:
16.4mm
14.5mm
10.5mm
18.2mm

Right:
12.1mm
10.1mm
9.7mm
12.9mm
14.6mm

I was told my blood work looked great, and was to continue on the same protocol, with the addition of Cetrotide every morning for the next 4 days to prevent the larger follicles from ovulating, while the other ones continue to grow. 

And grow they did! Here are my measurements from today's scan (not in same order as Wednesday).

Left:
22mm
15mm
15mm
12mm
12mm
9mm

Right:
21mm
19mm
17mm
17mm
15mm

I counted and counted again and was so surprised to see that the number was once again back up to 11. They are mature and ready for the trigger shot when over 20mm, so I'm hoping that the smaller ones will continue to grow. My next appointment will be in two days, on Monday, and I will know at that time when I will give myself the trigger shot, and when I'll go under anesthesia for egg retrieval. Right now, it looks like that will be Tuesday. I'm going into the weekend excited and hopeful.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome!! So excited for you! Thanks for the update!! Xoxo 💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great news!!! When we did that IVF study (the Finox one, which resulted in Bowen) we started with 11 so I think that's a great number!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - super nervous about tomorrow because we're down to 5.

      Delete