Our miracle RAINBOW BABY BOY arrived 8/2018

1st IVF = BFN
2nd IVF = Baby A, born May 2015
3rd IVF = Miscarriage at 14 weeks
4th IVF = BFN
After we paid for 5th IVF, positive pregnancy without IVF!

Because the important moments in life just don’t fit in a status update! I started this blog when I was training for my first ½ Ironman, (70.3 miles) to record what I hoped would be growth and progress but ended up being a huge learning experience. Although fitness is one of the key ingredients to a happy life, it certainly isn't the only ingredient. My blog has evolved to document growth, progress and setbacks in other areas too. From my surprise proposal in Rome and wedding in the fall of 2013, to Mom's devastating stage IV cancer diagnosis and death 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant. Who knows what shape it will take, but thanks for being along for the ride.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

GIANT Bubble Recipe

My daughter absolutely loves bubbles! But because she is almost 2, she is no longer satisfied with me blowing bubbles for her to chase. She wants to blow the bubbles herself, which usually results in two things; no bubbles, and then bubble solution spilled or dumped in the back yard. The wands are small and hard for her tiny hands to handle. 

Plus, because we had been using 'cheap' bubbles given to us or purchased at the dollar store, it was hard for me to even produce bubbles, and they certainly weren't anything to write home about.

There had to be a better way.

I found the best recipe, which we tried after school last week. While we were able to produce a few huge bubbles, they certainly didn't remain in the air very long or float into other yards, like the original posting described. I was disappointed and re-read the recipe, trying to figure out what I did wrong.




Stir the remaining ingredients, being very careful not to create a lot of froth. Whoops! That was my mistake, because I actually shook the mixture! I made it again today, stirring instead, and it worked like a charm!

It made the biggest difference. Not only did she have a blast making gigantic bubbles herself, but she loved mixing up the solution and being involved in the whole process. She also likes the feel of it and exclaiming "bubbles!" Be sure to create own wand with two straws and some yarn. I poured the mixture into a metal baking pan that I usually use for enchiladas and it was the perfect size, with at least half of the solution left-over to use the next day or re-fill her bubble containers.

For the original posting and more details, head over to Happy Hooligans.


INGREDIENTS:

  • 6 cups water (distilled is best but tap water is fine)
  • 1/2 cup blue Dawn dish detergent I used “ultra concentrated”. Dawn original is even better.
  • 1/2 cup corn starch (corn flour in the UK)
  • 1 tbsp baking powder (not baking soda)
  • 1 tbsp Glycerine (or if ya got it, personal lubricant)

MAKING YOUR HOMEMADE GIANT BUBBLE RECIPE:

  1. Dissolve cornstarch in the water, stirring really well.
  2. Stir in the remaining ingredients being very careful not to create a lot of froth. 
  3. Allow your mixture to sit for at least an hour, stirring occasionally when you see the cornstarch settling to the bottom.
Some of the cornstarch won’t dissolve completely, and may even settle to the bottom when you’re using your bubble mixture, but it won’t affect the quality of your bubbles.

THE MORE BUBBLES YOU MAKE, THE BETTER THE MIXTURE GETS! 

FYI: The first several bubbles popped immediately, and I was feeling deflated (no pun intended). We soon discovered however, that more we played with the bubble formula, the silkier it became.
Before we knew it, we were making huge bubbles.  When they broke free of our wand, they jiggled and wobbled through the air, gaining altitude until they floated up over the housetops and out of sight.
It was crazy-cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment